Seminar: Games Development with iOS (WS 14/15)
|The course gives an introduction to the new programming language Swift with Xcode 6, iOS 8 and games development. Students learn how to develop iOS games in interactive tutorials in the first week using Apple's powerful iOS frameworks like SpriteKit and SceneKit. In the second week they develop their first iOS game in small teams, are supported by experienced students (tutors) and demonstrate it in a short presentation. After that they publish their game into the iOS AppStore. The course language is English.|
Results of last semesters
- Seminar Games Development with iOS (SS13): 3 games published in the iOS AppStore!
- Seminar Games Development with iOS (WS13/14): 12 games published in the iOS AppStore!
“Tell me and I will forget.
Show me and I will remember.
Involve me and I will understand.
Step back and I will act.”
- You are familiar with the concepts of object oriented programming
- You have experiences in a programming language such as Java, C++ or C# (Note: Background knowledge in iOS development is not required.)
- You are highly motivated to take this course
- You attend all session and you are on time
- You are ambitious and want to develop a cool game that you submit into the iOS AppStore
- You support other participants
- Credits: 4 ECTS
- Info meeting: Tuesday, 01.07.2014, 16:00 - 17:00, room: 00.08.038
- Time: Block course between Monday, 08.09.2014 and Friday, 19.09.2014 (see schedule below)
- Number of participants is limited to ~ 30 students (due to room and equipment limitations), number of participants without MacBook is limited to 15 students.
- Compulsory attendance during the whole course
- Monday, 08.09.2014, 9:00 - Friday, 12.09.2014, 18:00: Interactive Tutorials for Swift, iOS and games development
- Friday, 12.09.2014, 18:00 - 18:30: Programming Assignment
- Friday, 12.09.2014, 18:30 - Friday, 19.09.2014 afternoon: Development of an iOS Game in groups of 2 students
- Friday, 19.09.2014, 14:00 - 18:00: Presentation and demonstration of the results
- Please notice: Compulsory attendance on all course days!
The seminar is already full.
If you want to prepare for the course, we recommend the following:
- Watch WWDC 2014 Videos about Swift: https://developer.apple.com/videos/wwdc/2014/
- Read Apple's iBook about Swift: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/the-swift-programming-language/id881256329?mt=11
- Read Ray Wenderlich Tutorials about iOS8 and Swift, in particular about SpriteKit and SceneKit: http://www.raywenderlich.com/tutorials
- Try out Xcode 6 beta on your MacBook or in our lab: Write an email to Stephan Krusche if you are interested